Saturday, December 17, 2011

Our Friend Becomes A Daughter

Where would we be without turkey and dressing?

As we chatted around the Thanksgiving table, I reflected on the blessings of family. Having one of my sisters, Beth, and her children as well as Andrew and his friend Saundra filled our dining room with wonderful heartwarming cheer.

Saundra had been Andy's friend since high school, and a decade later having her at the table was completely natural. I wouldn't know until they had traveled to Ft. Campbell together how significant her presence was.

It was a bewildered call from our second son, also stationed at Ft. Campbell in the same battalion, that tipped us off.

"Do you guys have any special plans for this weekend?"

"No Will, I think we'll be hanging around the house. Why?"

"Andy's platoon leader asked me if I knew he was getting married Friday. I though maybe you guys might be headed this way."

"Ummm ... ?"

Well, it turned out that after several conversations we were able to convince Andy and Saundra to wait awhile. Until the following Monday, anyway.

And so it is that now as we prepare for Christmas in Florida, we also celebrate Saundra, our wonderful new daughter-in-law!

No comments:

Post a Comment