Sunday, November 20, 2011

A Hide-a-Port, a Thief, and a Son Comes Home

It didn't seem like Thursday when we dismounted at 1:15 am, at least not that I noticed.

I was very thankful at that moment for our friend Dakota's offer to keep Laura company for her chemo treatment later that day. Of course I had no intention of missing it altogether, but being able to sleep in a bit seemed like a good plan.

The chemo, as before, was uneventful except for the nurse being unable to access Laura's subcutaneous port -- they had to set up an IV instead.

When I brought in the Arby's, Dakota and Laura's conversation about wigs turned to curiosity about the Oklahoma trip. I was happy to oblige as we ate.

The treatment was right on track and it seemed downright pleasant. The effects of chemo had taken a little more than a day to manifest before, and Dakota is a delight, so I left them to their girl talk and went to the cafeteria with my laptop to begin catching up on my inbox at work.

The day passed rapidly after that; I popped in for few visits to assure there were no changes, and before we knew it we were packing up and heading out. It's good to feel that those who are providing the services are not only competent but pleasant and helpful.

As the days following the treatment progressed, my fears of worsening effects meant that I was prepared to step up our game. From the beginning, I've been worried about a commonly repeated caution: that as the chemo course continues, the duration and severity of effects would increase. Thankfully, this round seemed a little easier, if anything. I know a part of it was the fact that it was all new and unknown the first time, but the typical side effects we all know about didn't seem any worse, either.

Unfortunately, Laura picked up a bit of a cold, so having to deal with a nagging cough has meant some lost sleep and a bit of weariness. Although she was planning to work on Friday, it was clear Thursday night it wasn't going to happen.

This was unfortunate, because it seemed it was going to be a nice, easy day. Laura was going to ride on a charter bus of kids to St. Augustine, take some leisurely strolls, and ride home. No lecturing, not much walking.

As it turned out, we were glad she didn't go, because the teachers who did go had to deal with a student who stole. Not exactly a low stress day for those involved.

Now we look forward to treatment three the day before Thanksgiving.

Based on the first two treatments, Thanksgiving should be fine, with Andrew home from Ft. Campbell to help provide some cooking assistance. We'll sit on Laura, if we have to, to have her conserve her energy, and Andy and I will get our celebratory meal ready around noon rather than in the afternoon, when we classically have had it. It won't involve stuffing a turkey or stressful complexities if we can help it.

We've been counting blessings approaching Thanksgiving -- that we found the cancer early, that we have such overwhelming support from family, church, and friends, and that the treatment regimen has been as well tolerated as it has.

Add to that my daily prayers of thanks for Laura, who has been riding this whole thing out like the champ she is. It is truly marvelous to see God working through her!

I'd also urge everyone this Thanksgiving to remember those who have given so much for our freedoms!

1 comment:

Joyceee said...

Thanks for keeping us updated.
Hit Publix or Fresh Market or Whole Foods. All of them will do the whole meal and have it ready for pick up. There really is no reason for anyone to slave over a hot stove!!
I will remind you of Laura's statement to me about 15 years ago. (Right after my hysterectomy)
"Pretend you are a Man and go sit down" She would not let me in the kitchen at all that Thanksgiving. Ya need to remind her that what goes around comes back and bites you on the butt.

Post a Comment